The Department of Statistics operates a free consulting service for members of the campus community. Advanced graduate students, under faculty supervision, consult by appointment in the fall and spring semesters. We do not run the consulting service during the summer.
Campus researchers — faculty, visiting scholars, staff, and students — are welcome to use our service for advice at any stage of their research and data analysis, but it is best to come early so that the consultants can be helpful at the design stage. Some problems may be outside our scope; if so, we will not provide service beyond an initial consultation. All consultations are in person -- we do not provide assistance via email or video conferencing.
This service is associated with the course Statistics 272, which may be taken for credit. If you are not a graduate student in the statistics or biostatistics department, you need to get permission of the instructor to take the course. MA students in statistics and biostatistics must add to the waitlist until the instructor approves enrollment in the course.
Schedule a Consultation
We are open for Spring 2019 semester! Please email us to inquire about consulting services for your project.
- Send email to: consulting [at] stat [dot] berkeley [dot] edu (subject: Consultation) .
- In the body of your message, please provide:
- a one-paragraph description of your problem and the context in which it arises
- your title and affiliation
- Initial consulting appointments are for 30 minutes. Followup appointments may be longer.
- No new appointments will be scheduled after the last day of classes of the semester. We may schedule followup appointments the "reading week" period with returning clients, as needed. After that point, NO appointments will be available until the service resumes in the following semester.
Note: Questions regarding coursework or homework are handled by the Tutoring service rather than Consulting. Questions regarding the statistics major or courses offered by the statistics department are handled by our Undergraduate Student Services Advisors (see http://statistics.berkeley.edu/people/staff for their contact information)