Financial Support

Ph.D.:  All admitted Ph.D. students will receive full financial support in their first year.  This support covers registration costs (all fees and nonresident supplemental tuition) and provides a stipend for living expenses.  In subsequent years, financial support for Ph.D. students is provided in the form of fellowships, Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) appointments, also known as teaching assistantships, and/or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) appointments, also known as research assistantships.

M.A.: MA students typically cover expenses through a combination of student loans, private funds, and employer support (for those who are already in careers).

M.A. Department Financial Support: We do not want the professional degree supplemental tuition to limit access to our program. The Department of Statistics encourages students from all backgrounds to apply for our professional master's degree. The Department is committed to the inclusion of diverse populations and to minimize financial barriers for those interested in the pursuit of lower-paying public interest careers. To achieve these goals and to remove financial barriers which may be restrictive, departmental financial support may be available. Examples of financial barriers include eligibility for a Pell grant in your undergraduate program, substantial student loan debt, or a recent economic setback or hardship. In addition, consideration is given to applicants whose background and life experiences contribute to the inclusion of diversity and demonstrate an interested & dedication to public interest. This may include, but is not limited to, applicants who have had limited access to educational resources, who represent geographic diversity, who have persevered over economic disadvantage, who have shown persistence & strength by working to support themselves during their education, or whose experiences has demonstrated a commitment to supporting underserved communities. In order to be considered for department financial support during the 2018/2019 application cycle, please provide a brief explanation for your request when prompted in the application.

GOP Fellowship: Each year, one underrepresented minority student who is a US Citizen or permanent US resident is nominated for a fellowship consisting of a $10,000 stipend ($5,000 a semester) and coverage of in-state fees for one academic year. The selected student is notified in their admissions letter.

Regarding paid teaching or research assistantships: Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) appointments are reserved for PhD students; however, a limited number of Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) opportunities are available for MA students each semester. MA students are informed of these opportunities before each semester; at which point they can apply for a position if they wish. Selection will be based on teaching experience, English proficiency, performance in the MA program, the student’s schedule, and approval by the MA faculty chair. Please be aware that new GSIs are required to take a pedagogy course, over and above the regular coursework of the MA program. 

Tuition and Fees:

Tuition and fees for Ph.D. students ("Graduate Academic" fee schedule, from the Office of the Registrar). All tuition & fees are subject to change. The Student Health Insurance Plan ($2,373 per semester) is optional.

Tuition and fees for MA students ("Graduate Professional" fee schedule for MA in Statistics program). All tuition & fees are subject to change. The Student Health Insurance Plan ($2,373 per semester) is optional.

Living Expenses:

The UC Berkeley Financial Aid Office currently estimates living expenses for graduate students to be $25,120 for the 2015-16 academic year. This includes housing, utilities, food, books, supplies, personal, and transportation costs. Your expenses may be lower or higher depending on your lifestyle. 

Additional Financial Resources:

If you need additional funding or would like an overview of all the financial aid options available to you, including scholarships, loans, aid for students with dependents, and more, visit the UC Berkeley financial aid website

We encourage applicants to apply for fellowships from sources other than U.C. Berkeley. U.S. citizens and permanent residents are particularly encouraged to apply for the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Defense Science Engineering (NDSEG) fellowships.

See a list of fellowships and corresponding websites »