- Advising Calendar
- Whom to Contact - Faculty or Staff Advisor?
- Advisor Contact Information and Advising Hours
- Other Academic Advising and Support Resources
Whom to Contact - Faculty, Staff, or Peer Advisor?
The Statistics Department has Faculty, Staff and Peer Advisors. You can best utilize your time and the advisors' time by first referring to the advisor who can best help you with your specific question or issue. Please read our website information and Frequently Asked Questions before contacting an advisor.
|Faculty Advisors||Staff Advisor||Peer Advisor|
|Field of statistics||General Academic Policies||Major requirements|
|Statistics course content and selection||Enrollment Issues||Personal perspective on courses and co-curricular activities|
|Research||When you have completed major declaration paperwork and are ready to declare||Tips and resources on studying for Statistics classes|
|Graduate school||Major completion checks and graduation||Social support|
|Career exploration||Academic Probation|
|Applied Cluster Approvals (when not explicitly on the Approved Cluster List)|
|Major Declaration Process (see website first)|
- Denise Yee, Undergraduate Staff Advisor & Course and Curriculum Officer
369 Evans Hall | dyee [at] berkeley [dot] edu | 510-643-6131
- Majabeen Samadi, Undergraduate Staff Advisor
367A Evans Hall | majabeen [at] berkeley [dot] edu | 510-643-2459
Drop-In Hours with Staff Advisors - Check in at Statistics Front Desk 367 Evans
See the Advising Calendar above to confirm drop-in availability for this week.
Students who are unable to come to drop-in advising hours may email an advisor their questions or request a phone or Skype appointment.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions before scheduling an appointment. Note that major declarations are not processed in the first 2 weeks of the semester nor during heavy enrollment advising times (late October through November in Fall and mid-March through late-April in Spring). Newly admitted students entering in the Fall semester will have many of the questions answered during Golden Bear Advising and Orientation.
STUDENTS EXPERIENCING ACADEMIC DIFFICULTY (including those on Academic Probation, those whose GPA is very close to 2.0, and those who earned a D, F or NP in a Statistics course the previous semester) should book a 30 minute appointment or Denise directly at 510-643-6131 or dyee [at] berkeley [dot] edu as soon as possible. Do not come to drop-ins or book a 15min appointment for this type of advising.
- Prof. Will Fithian, HEAD Undergraduate Faculty Advisor
- Bring your transcript
- If you are are already declared and are (a) seeking approval of your cluster, (b) wish to use a course taken elsewhere for your Statistics major, or (c) are seeking approval for an exception such as substituting a graduate-level course for a Statistics 15x-level elective, also BRING THE FOLLOWING:
COURSE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE COURSES YOU WISH TO USE AND NEED APPROVAL FOR. INCLUDE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE PREREQUISITES AND A SYLLABUS.
YOUR MOST RECENTLY APPROVED PROGRAM PLAN/Application with Cluster - OBTAIN FROM DENISE or MAJABEEN in 367 Evans. You may email Denise or Majabeen ahead of time and one of them can leave copies at the Front Desk.
YOUR PROPOSED NEW PROGRAM PLAN with course work planned until you graduate.
- Prof. David Brillinger, Undergraduate Faculty Advisor
- College of Letters & Science (academic policies)
- Student Learning Center (tutors, study groups, exam reviews, study skills)
- Student Life Advising
- Academic Services in the Residence Halls
- Private Tutoring by Statistics graduate students on a fee for services basis
- Student-to-Student Peer Counseling
- University Health Services Counseling (academic adjustments, stress and anxiety, etc.) and medical issues
- Disabled Students’ Program (academic accommodations, assistive technology, etc.)
- Center for Educational Equity and Excellence, including:
- Cal Independent Scholars Network
- Cal Veteran Services Center
- Educational Opportunity Program
- Re-entry Student Program
- Student Parent Center
- Transfer Student Services Center
- Undocumented Student Program