Reserved Seating and Enrollment Details
Find updates for each semester in the Stat 001 section of piazza.com. Relevant posts are pinned and you can also use the search bar.
General Enrollment Policies
* Most seats in upper division Statistics courses are reserved for declared Statistics majors throughout Phase I. Students who are not declared majors have the option to add to the waitlist. Any remaining reserved seats are released at the end of Phase I. See above for more details about reserved seating.
* GRADUATE COURSES. Undergraduate students cannot enroll or add to the waitlist. If you are an undergrad and wish to take a graduate level course, wait until the start of the semester and speak with the instructor about enrolling but it may take a few weeks to know if you can enroll because priority is given to graduate students.
*Unit increase requests- The maximum enrollment limit for students in the College of L&S is 20.5 units. If you wish to enroll in more units, you can submit the Statistics Major Unit Cap Increase Request Form but it will not be reviewed until the 3rd week of the semester. You will hear back from us via email whether or not your request has been approved.
When a course is full:
- Make sure you marked the box “waitlist if full” when attempting to add the course.
- Check to see if there is space on the waitlist for the lab/discussion you are trying to add. If the lab waitlist is full, you will not be able to add to the waitlist.
- The waitlist of the Lab/Disc Section is full
- Lab/Discussion Section you chose is full
- Do not meet prerequisites
- Do not meet reserved seating criteria (e.g. Statistics major)
- Time conflicts
- The Statistics Department will not approve of time conflict override requests. No exceptions.
- Over maximum units allowed
- Students may request to increase their unit limit beginning the 3rd week of the semester by completing an online form. We will post the link to the form here once the semester starts.
Waitlisted Courses With Labs/Discussions
Enrollment is dependent upon if there is a seat available in the lab/discussion and each lab/discussion has a waitlist. Students can only see their lab/discussion waitlist position at the time of adding to the waitlist. After adding to the waitlist, students can only see their lecture waitlist position number. How this works is that the system starts with the first student on the lecture waitlist and will enroll the student if there is space available in the lab/discussion they have selected. If not, it moves on to the next student on the lecture waitlist and so forth. The waitlist processes 4 times a day (6:40 am/pm and 12:40 am/pm).
Concurrent enrollment applications are generally not processed until the 3rd or 4th week of the semester. Please have patience. Make sure you attend class and keep up with all the work in case you are able to enroll later. Instructor approval is required before the Statistics Department can approve your class application.
To increase your chances of enrolling, enter all the labs/discussions you are able to attend in the “Additional Information” box after you have selected your lab/discussion. If you have already submitted your class application and did not enter additional labs/discussions in the “Additional Information” box, go back and edit your class application (Go to CalCentral --> "My Academics" tab --> "Edit Class Applications"). When the instructor and Department begins to review class applications, your selected lab/discussion will be considered first and then the rest after. If there is space in any of the labs/discussions you listed in the “Additional Information” box, then we will contact you to edit your selected lab/discussion. Therefore, make sure to check your email once the semester starts.
Instructions on how to edit your lab/discussion are as follows:
* Go to CalCentral --> "My Academics" tab --> "Edit Class Applications"
* Select the application that needs to be updated.
* In the 5-digit course number box, the number for the lecture will be posted. DO NOT CHANGE THIS.
* Go to the secondary section area of the form. Enter the 5-digit number for the new section. Select the magnifying glass, and the information for that course should now show up in the form.
* Hit "Resubmit" at the bottom of the form.
Now your application is updated, and it did not change the order that your application was submitted in!