The Department of Statistics operates a free consulting service for members of the campus community. Advanced graduate students, under faculty supervision, consult by appointment in the fall and spring semesters. We do not run the consulting service during the summer.
Campus researchers — faculty, visiting scholars, staff, and students — are welcome to use our service for statistical advice at any stage of their research, but it is best to come early so that the consultants can be helpful at the design stage. Some problems may be outside our scope; if so, we will not provide service beyond an initial consultation.
This service is associated with the course Statistics 272, which may be taken for credit. If you are not a graduate student in the statistics department, you need to get permission of the instructor to take the course.
Schedule a Consultation
Please email us to inquire about consulting services for your project.
- Send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put Consultation in the subject line.
- In the body of your message, please provide a short description (one paragraph to two pages) of your problem.
- Consulting appointments are for one hour. Appointments for the Fall 2015 semester are available in the following blocks of time (each block of time represents 2 appointment slots):
- Monday 10-12 443 Evans
- Tuesday 2-4 422 Evans
- Wednesday 3-5 443 Evans
- Thursday 2-4 443 Evans
- Friday 2:30-4:30 443 Evans
- If you would like to schedule an appointment, please let us know your preferred time.
- We will start scheduling appointments for Fall 2015 the week of August 31.
- No new appointments will be scheduled the week of December 7 or following weeks. We will schedule followup appointments the week of December 7th with returning clients, as needed. After that point, no appointments will be available until the service resumes in the Spring semester in 2016.
- Drop-in appointments are possible, but you are more likely to secure an appointment if you reserve one in advance.
Note: Questions regarding coursework or homework are handled by the Tutoring service rather than Consulting.