The Department of Statistics operates a free consulting service for members of the campus community. Advanced graduate students, under faculty supervision, consult by appointment in the fall and spring semesters. We do not run the consulting service during the summer.
Campus researchers — faculty, visiting scholars, staff, and students — are welcome to use our service for statistical advice at any stage of their research, but it is best to come early so that the consultants can be helpful at the design stage. Some problems may be outside our scope; if so, we will not provide service beyond an initial consultation.
This service is associated with the course Statistics 272, which may be taken for credit. If you are not a graduate student in the statistics department, you need to get permission of the instructor to take the course.
Schedule a Consultation
Please email us to inquire about consulting services for your project.
- Send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put Consultation in the subject line.
- In the body of your message, please provide a short description (one paragraph to two pages) of your problem.
- Consulting appointments are for one hour. Appointments for the Spring 2016 semester are available in the following blocks of time (each block of time represents 2 appointment slots):
- Tuesday 2-3pm 443 Evans
- Tuesday 4-6pm 443 Evans
- Wednesday 1:30-3:30pm 443 Evans
- Thursday 2-3pm 422 Evans
- If you would like to schedule an appointment, please let us know your preferred time. We will start scheduling appointments for Spring 2016 the week of January 25.
- No new appointments will be scheduled the week of May 2 or following weeks. We may schedule followup appointments the week of May 2nd with returning clients, as needed. After that point, no appointments will be available until the service resumes in the Fall semester in 2016.
- Drop-in appointments are possible, but you are more likely to secure an appointment if you reserve one in advance.
Note: Questions regarding coursework or homework are handled by the Tutoring service rather than Consulting.