The minor is for students who want to study a significant amount of Statistics and Probability at the upper division level. It will provide them with formal recognition for their effort on their transcript, but not on their diploma.
The minor has the same lower division prerequisites as the major (a total of four courses): Mathematics 1A, 1B, 53 and 54.
The required upper division courses (total of five courses): Stat 134 (or Stat 140*) and Stat 135; and three courses from: Statistics 150, 151A, 152, 153, 154, 155, 157, 158, and 159 including at least one course with a laboratory (exactly as in the major).
*Stat 140 (Probability for Data Science) offered in spring semester only and Stat/CS/Info C8 is a required prerequisite for Stat 140. Due to overlap of course content, students will only receive credit for either Stat 134 or Stat 140.
Minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 required in upper-division courses used for the minor.
Overlap between Major and Minor: Maximum of one upper division course
How to Declare and Complete the Minor in Statistics:
- After completing the math prerequisite courses and Stat 134 or Stat 140, fill out the Worksheet for the Minor in Statistics and Four Year Program Plan Worksheet.
- Consult with the Undergraduate Staff Advisors or Faculty Advisor to review Program Plan.
- Submit worksheets and copy of transcript (unofficial will do) to Undergraduate Staff Advisor in 367 Evans.
- After completing ALL minor courses, fill out the Completion of L&S Minor form (obtain from L&S Office of Undergraduate Advising in 206 Evans Hall or https://ls.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/advcompletionoflnsminor.pdf).
- Submit all forms to Advising Staff in 367 Evans.