Website Privacy Statement
- The University of California, Berkeley is committed to protecting the privacy and accuracy of your confidential information to the extent possible, subject to provisions of state and federal law. Other than as required by laws that guarantee public access to certain types of information, or in response to subpoenas or other legal instruments that authorize access, personally-identifiable information is not actively shared. In particular, we do not re-distribute or sell personal information collected on our web servers.
- The Statistics Department may collect personal information such as name, address, e-mail address, telephone number(s), and/or educational interests. Such personal information may be requested by us for research, public service or teaching programs, or for administrative purposes. Additional personal information may be requested for enrollment purposes.
- Web servers typically collect, at least temporarily, the following information: Internet Protocol (IP) address of computer being used; web pages requested; referring web page; browser used; date and time. The Statistics Department may collect statistics identifying particular IP addresses from which our websites are accessed.
Use of collected information
- The Statistics Department may use personal information collected from websites for the purpose of future communication back to online enrollees, in order to keep you informed of such activities as campus programs, symposia and/or special events, but only if you are provided the opportunity to opt out of that type of use.
- The Statistics Department may use browser-IP-address information and anonymous-browser history to report information about site accesses and for profiling purposes. This information is generally used to improve Web presentation and utilization. The campus also may use IP address information for troubleshooting purposes.
- The Statistics Department may use "cookies" in order to deliver web content specific to individual users’ interests or to keep track of online purchasing transactions. Sensitive personal information is not stored within cookies.
- Also see the Berkeley Office of Ethics Online Monitoring web page
Distribution of collected information
- The Statistics Department will not disclose, without your consent, personal information collected about you, except for certain explicit circumstances in which disclosure is required by law.
- The Statistics Department will not distribute or sell personal information to third-party organizations.
- Individuals who wish to use methods other than online enrollment may submit requests by email or U.S. mail addressed to The Statistics Department.
Access to own information
- Questions regarding users’ rights to review, modify or delete their previously provided personal information should be directed to the campus organization to which they provided the information. Any disputes will be resolved under existing records regulations applicable to UC Berkeley.
- For more detailed information about requirements for campus online activities see the Campus Online Activities Policy section on Privacy and Confidentiality of Information.
Responsibility for external sites
- The Statistics Department does not control the content or information practices of external organizations. We recommend you review the privacy statements of these organizations.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are accessing this site from a country that is a member of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EAA), or the United Kingdom (UK), the processing of your Personal Data is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the UK GDPR, or other European Privacy laws. UC Berkeley complies with the requirements of GDPR, the UK GDPR, and other European privacy laws. For information regarding your rights under European privacy laws, including the GDPR and UK GDPR; and/or UC Berkeley’s compliance with their requirements, refer to the UC Berkeley Privacy Office’s GDPR site; or contact the UC Berkeley Privacy office: firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 664-7775.