|Requirement||UC Berkeley Courses||Alternatives|
|Calculus I||Math 1A||Equivalent Advanced Placement, IB, A-Levels per Math Department; or equivalent CA Community College course work per Assist.org, or equivalent course work from another 4-year college or out-of-state community college|
|Calculus II||Math 1B|
|Multivariable Calculus||Math 53|
|Linear Algebra and Differential Equations||Math 54|
|Lower Division Statistics||Stat 20 or Data/Stat/CS/Info C8|
|Upper Division Statistics||Stat 134 or C140||Stat 135 if B- not met in Stat 134 or C140|
Students must earn a minimum 3.2 UC Grade Point Average* and no lower than a C in the following courses:
- Math 1A Calculus (or the Summer version Math N1A)
- Math 1B Calculus II (or the Summer version Math N1B)
- Math 53 Multivariable Calculus (or the Summer version Math N53, or web-based version Math W53)
- Math 54 Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (or the Summer version Math N54)
*Math prerequisite GPA is based solely on math courses taken at UC Berkeley or other UC. Students who have taken ALL FOUR prerequisite courses at non-UC institutions, are still required to take at least one Math course at Berkeley to establish a UC GPA. Students may choose Math 54 (B+ required) or Math 110 (B required). Note: Effective Fall 2019, Math 1A and Math 1B cannot be taken after completing Math 53 and/or Math 54 at UCB to increase the math prerequisite GPA.
If you have completed any of the math prerequisites at a non-UC institution, please look at Frequently Asked Questions.
- Students must earn a minimum C grade in either Stat/CompSci/Info C8, Stat 20 or Stat 28 (effective for freshmen students entering UC Berkeley in Fall 2018 and transfer students entering in Fall 2020).
Students must also earn a B- in either Stat 134 (or Stat C140*) or Stat 135, with no more than one course repeated between Stat 134 (or Stat C140) and Stat 135.
*Prerequisites are enforced for Stat C140 (Probability for Data Science); see the course website for details. Due to overlap of course content, students will only receive credit for either Stat 134 or Stat C140.