The minor is for students who want to study a significant amount of Statistics and Probability at the upper division level. It will provide them with formal recognition for their effort on their transcript, but not on their diploma.
CLICK HERE FOR RESPONSE TO P/NP DEFAULT GRADING OPTION FOR SPRING 2020
Students are encouraged to join the Stat 001 Piazza for additional information.
Prerequisites: The minor has the same lower division prerequisites courses as the major (a total of four): Mathematics 1A, 1B, 53 and 54 with a grade no lower than a C in each. These courses can be taken at UC Berkeley or the equivalent can be taken elsewhere. AP credit, A-Levels and IB are acceptable:
AP Credit. If you received a score of 3 or higher on the AP Calculus AB Exam, or a score of 3 or 4 on the AP Calculus BC Exam, then Math 1A requirement is waived. If you received a 5 on the AP Calculus BC Exam, both the Math 1A and Math 1B requirements are waived. You will still need to take Math 53 and Math 54.
Transfer Credit, A-Levels, and IB. Students who took courses at a California community college can determine whether those courses are equivalent to UC Berkeley courses using the Assist.org tool. Courses taken at another 4-year institution or a community college outside of California need to be evaluated by the UC Berkeley Mathematics Department (970 Evans Hall). Bring the completed evaluation(s) with you when you are ready to declare the minor.
If you have A-Level Math exam credits or an International Baccalaureate (IB), you can waive out of Math 1A and/or Math 1B. We abide by what the Math Department deems as equivalent, which is subject to change:
- A-Level Math (grade of ''B'' or better) = Math 1A Equivalency
- A-Level Further Math (grade of ''B'' or better) = Math 1A & Math 1B Equivalency
- IB Math Higher Level (grades 5, 6 or 7) = Math 1A Equivalency
Minor Requirements: The required upper division courses (total of five courses): Stat 134 (or Stat 140*) and Stat 135; and three courses from: Statistics C102, 150, 151A, 152, 153, 154, 155, 157, 158, and 159 including at least one course with a laboratory (exactly as in the major).
*Prerequisites are enforced for Stat 140 (Probability for Data Science); see the course website for details. Due to overlap of course content, students will only receive credit for either Stat 134 or Stat 140.
Minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 required in upper-division courses used for the minor.
Overlap between Major and Minor: Maximum of one upper division course
How to Declare and Complete the Minor in Statistics:
- After completing the math prerequisite courses and Stat 134 or Stat 140, fill out the Worksheet for the Minor in Statistics and Four Year Program Plan Worksheet to declare the minor. The deadline to declare the minor is at least one semester prior to your Expected Graduation Term (EGT).
- Consult with the Undergraduate Staff Advisors or Faculty Advisor to review Program Plan.
- Submit worksheets and copy of transcript (unofficial will do) to Undergraduate Staff Advisor in 367 Evans.
- After completing ALL minor courses, fill out the Completion of L&S Minor form (obtain from L&S Office of Undergraduate Advising in 206 Evans Hall or https://ls.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/advcompletionoflnsminor.pdf).
- Submit all forms to Advising Staff in 367 Evans.