Booking Travel

Booking Travel


We understand that many faculty, staff, and students have questions regarding university-related travel as campus begins to reopen and vaccination distribution improves. We also acknowledge the desire to resume business operations and make travel plans in the near future, as well as the challenge of interpreting CDC guidelines domestically and abroad. UC Berkeley is following the guidance of UCOP and the CDC when outlining travel policies. Please review UC Berkeley’s guidance on travel before you travel or make travel plans during the COVID-19 pandemic – particularly for international travel as advance approval may be required. The following guidance is effective as of January 14, 2022, and until further notice.

CDC Guidance on Travel

UC Berkeley Guidance on Travel

The University has contracts with several major airline, hotel and car rental companies to provide discounts and other benefits to travelers. Use the UC travel web portal (ConnexUC) to access and take advantage of all of these programs.

Go To ConnexUC

Before the Trip

ConnexUC provides several options for making travel arrangements. You can: 

  • Book online through a travel agency or Southwest SWABIZ
  • Work directly with a travel agent over the telephone
  • Use your favorite search engine (i.e., Kayak, Hipmunk, etc.) and still get UC’s preferential pricing
  • Pay with your personal credit card or charge airfare directly to the university with a Direct Bill ID number (see Direct Bill below for more information)
  • If you’re mixing personal and business travel, you can’t directly charge the cost of your flight to the university but you can still book through Connexxus to get the best rates.
  • If travel reservations are made by an agency outside Connexxus Travel, then trip registration is required for university-related trips out of state and to foreign countries, regardless of CDC or State Department level. This will ensure travelers have access to travel insurance and other UC risk management services and benefits. Contact with questions.

Direct Bill

If your trip is 100% business (no personal days), you should have your flight (only) billed directly to your funds. Contact Keyla Gomez for more information.

During the Trip

Keep track of your business-related expenses. Keep all of your receipts. A reminder that each university traveler should pay for his/her own expenses and submit an individual reimbursement request.  Travel Reimbursement Forms are found in the Reimbursements page > Resources > Forms Tab.

After the Trip

After every University paid business or research trip, a record of the expenses must be submitted. Per policy, the expense report must be submitted within 45 days after returning from the trip. An expense report is required, even if no reimbursement is due to the traveler.

Review our Reimbursement page for details about how to submit an expense report, request reimbursement, and track the status of your reimbursement.