Sometimes it is clear what position and what title you want to fill. If not, the Department's HR Coordinator will work with you and relevant units on campus to determine the best fit for your needs.
*Please always consult with the HR Coordinator prior to making any offers or promises of employment and never let anyone commence work before they have been onboarded.
A Postdoctoral Scholar is a temporary position, allowing individuals a unique opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of a faculty member, they are supported by campus research grants, contracts, fellowships, and external sources.
To start the process:
International Office Visa Processing Fee (if applicable):
- J-1 Visa - $600
- J1-Student Visa - $1,000
- H-1B Visa - $2,000 - $2,500
- Shipping - Up to $50
- Graduate Student Researcher
Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) appointments in the Statistics Department are funded at the GSR Step 9 rate. Students must be registered for the entire semester for which they hold a graduate student academic appointment and must be registered by the end of the fifth week of classes.
- To hire a Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) please email Student Services Supervisor, La Shana Porlaris
- Graduate Student Instructors, Readers, and Tutors
We will make every effort to accommodate faculty requests to hire specific students for GSI, Reader, and/or Tutor positions. Please note that due to Statistics PhD Program teaching requirements, this may not be possible. Specifically, we utilize our PhD students for graduate courses and upper division courses first.
Students must be registered for the entire semester for which they hold a graduate student academic appointment and must be registered by the end of the fifth week of classes.
- Student Assistant
Student Assistant Employees:
- Must be a current UC Berkeley Student
- Recent UC Berkeley Graduates are allowed to work one semester after graduation
- RECOMMENDED, appoint Student Assistant for 1 year at a time (extension are available)
*Please allow 1 week minimum processing time
To start the process:
- Complete the Student Assistant Hire Form
- Provide Job Description
- Email material to the HR Coordinator
Required information needed on form:
- Name of Hire
- Email Address
- Start Date and End Date
- Intended Pay Rate (view current pay rate under the Student Assistant Tab)
- Hours Per Week (Note: 20 hours per week is maximum)
- Other Titles
If you have a person who does not qualify for any of the above titles, there may be other possible options such as:
- Project Scientist
- Visiting Titles (visit our Host a Visitor page)
Hire Request Materials:
- Candidate's current CV/Resume
- Job description
- Intended salary or hourly rate
Other areas we can help with:
- Assistance Writing Job Descriptions
- Coordinate and Assist with Appointment Extensions
- Advise and Escalate Employee & Labor Relations Policies and Issues
- Coordinate Multi-Location Appointments