The SCF has been a primary testing site for some of the most important statistical packages now in use. It was the first primary test site for the 'S' statistical language, and a primary test site for the UNIX version of SAS.
The primary computational software currently supported by SCF includes:
- R (including an extensive set of packages from CRAN) and RStudio
- Python (the Anaconda distribution, including an extensive set of packages for both Python 3 (default) and Python 2)
- Jupyter notebooks (IPython and R)
- Matlab (including all Mathworks toolboxes)
- Mathematica, including Wolfram Alpha Pro
In addition, we support standard software used in research and teaching, including vim, emacs, LaTeX (and LyX), and Perl, among others. Other supported resources include:
- standard compilers for C, C++, Fortran, and other languages,
- fast, threaded linear algebra libraries (OpenBLAS and ACML),
- support for parallel programming, including MPI and openMP,
- various software for machine learning, including with GPU support, including Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, and Theano.
- other computational software, including JAGS and Julia, and
- hosting of Shiny repositories.
Finally, we can generally install software needed for teaching or research by our users, including R, Matlab, and Python packages, upon request. And we try to keep up with useful new software as it becomes available.
Note that access to some software (in particular machine learning and GPU-using software, and switching between versions of Python) is controlled via Linux environment modules.
Campus Distributed Software
Note that software for installation on personal machines can be obtained from the campus-wide Software Central site.
Install Matlab on your own computer, or contact SCF staff for assistance.
If you have a UC-owned Mac, you can use the Casper Self Service application to install the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), Adobe Acrobat Professional, Microsoft Office, and other commercial and free software. This is especially useful if you need to install a lot of common software like Google Chrome, Cyberduck, and Dropbox on your computer since you can easily install them all through this one application. Contact SCF staff for assistance.