The KAG Graduate Student Travel Fund
In 2002 Dr. Kamil A. Grajski (Berkeley Ph.D. ’87), acting upon the suggestion of his mentor and friend Dr. Leo Breiman, established this fund to support travel for graduate students in the Department of Statistics.
If you wish to make a contribution to this fund in support of graduate student travel needs, you can use the mail-in donation form.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Must be a PhD student in Statistics
- Normally a student would receive a travel grant once during the course of their studies.
- Grant amounts will depend on the location of the proposed travel, but will generally be no more than $750 for travel within California, up to $1,000 for travel elsewhere in North America, and up to $1,500 for international travel.
- There are a limited number of awards given each year
- Priority will be given to students conducting or presenting research
- purpose of the trip and approximate budget
- written endorsement of a faculty advisor (via email)
The request can be made to cover travel, lodging and conference/registration fees.
Reimbursement and Report
A short report on the experience and how the trip benefited your studies must be submitted to the PhD Program Coordinator. All original receipts for which reimbursement is being requested or for which direct payment was made by the University must be turned in within 45 days after completion of travel.
Past Recipients & Reports:
- 2019 Lihua Lei
- 2018 Geno Guerra, Kellie Ottoboni
- 2015 Arturo Fernandez-Zuniga, Soeren Kuenzel, Miklos Racz
- 2014 Yuting Wei
- 2013 Hye Soo Choi, Wenpin Tang
- 2012 Yuval Benjamini
- 2009 Garvesh Raskutti, Chinghway Lim, Yueqing Wang, Ying Xu
- 2008 Choongsoon Bae, Jing Lei, Shankar Bhamidi, Vince Vu
- 2007 Ron Peled
- 2006 Na Xu, Peng Zhao, Donghui Yan
- 2005 Bo Li, Guilherme Rocha
- 2003 Chao Chen, Apratim Guha
- 2002 Alan Hammond, Serban Nacu, Gabor Pete, Lea Popovic